30.6.13

Cookout! - 20.6.13

We were cooking a simple starter of sweet peppers with cheese - they were OK,
followed by pizzas, and finally, bananas with chocolate and marshmallows with ice cream.

Davud and Hamish took care of hte 2 fires and Chloe helped prep everything else.

Each person assemble and cooked their own food.

Then they ate what they'd cooked.
 Lovely

MeWally missed that cookout, so a couple of days later I did it all again for him. on the 22nd, the evening he came home.

I was well stuffed.

: )

I was going to give you a link to the cooking pizza on a camp fire recipe. The trouble is, I haven't written it up. Thought I had. Old age. Sad but true.
Will blog the 'how to' in a few weeks time when we do it again.

This weekend  started on Friday evening, 28.6.13, when we decided to make a few curries and nan breads.

At last I get to use this oven. It was a relic from the garden.of my old friend  The door was buried in her chapel (yes, posh huh, my late friend had a chapel - get over it)!

I asked for and was allowed to take, this wreck home to my place where I stripped off the hob assembly,  pipework and thermostat to leave an empty shell. I put on the door. A quick scrub with a Brillo Pad or two and it was good to go.

We set fire to the wood.

Man, it smoked like billy-oh.

So we opened the door and it went like the clappers.

Once things were more calm, we put the reinforcing mesh shelving we'd made onto the brackets inside.
We topped this with fire bricks (hardware stores, or salvage from night storage heaters). Once the fire bricks were hot enough, we cooked the nan bread on them - they were ok. 

On top, which was murder hot, we had the 3 dishes, a spud and spinach, a veg and coconut and a dhall.

A beer each to oil the wheels of indigestion.

: P

Oh heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.