18.9.11

Portland Bill


There's a wildlife reserve on Portland Bill in a quarry off Grove Road in Easton.

We went there today. It was wet, then dry, then wet, then dry, then wet ......


A bleak spot, leading to the sea.


The Prison overlooks the quarry on one side and the sea on the other.


It's still a working quarry. Most of the major government buildings in London were built using the beautiful, sheer, white, PORTLAND STONE.


Enjoy a few sea views and imagine the roar of wind and water filling your ears.





This is THE SPOT for diving/snorkelling with CUTTLEFISH.


Final job, CREAM TEA at THE HEIGHTS. Pretty poor effort on their part: stingy - barely enough for half a scone -  little plastic tub of horrible plastic 'jam' (I use the term 'jam' loosely), a pat of butter (with a cream tea??????????), tepid, flavourless coffee (this is the Heights COFFEE HOUSE), crumbs all over the table, a menu with only 2 items that are fair traded, and yet, the fairtrade logo features prominently on the menu - I feel it should go, unless they can SHOW real commitment to the fairtrade cause. I wont be rushing back as the view from the rest of Portland Bill is every bit as good as from their window.  Maybe a small trader could benefit from our cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.